Steam braised Bass
Ingredients for 4 people
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 strips of finely pared lemon zest
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely sliced (optional)
- 2 x packs of Wild Bass, 300g each from Sole of Discretion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place olive oil, butter, and white wine in a large, wide saucepan or a deep-frying pan along with a tablespoon of water, lemon juice, zest, thyme, and bay – and the fennel seeds and garlic, if you’re using them.
Bring to a simmer. Season fish fillets lightly with salt and pepper, then arrange them in the pan in a single layer.
Cover and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish, turning them once, very carefully, so they don’t break up.
That’s it. All you need do now is transfer fish to warmed plates and spoon over the juices. Boiled spuds or mashed potatoes and something fresh and green – broccoli, perhaps, or spring greens – are the only accompaniments you need.
Recipe by - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and Nick Fisher